Monday, August 28, 2017

Bout of Books - 7 Day Wrap Up





On Sunday, the last day of Bout of Books, I finally managed to do my usual daily reading minimum - 40 pages of a book that I am not teaching this semester. I read more about police violence in Sao Paolo, along with people's justifications for it in Teresa Caldeira's excellent City of Walls.  The problem of citizen-endorsement of police violence is global.

As far as the week's wrap-up goes, I was defeated by the hectic nature of the first weeks of a new school year.  In the summer, I was easily reading close to 100 pages a day. Last week, our second week of classes, despite my best efforts, I read less than 40 pages most days - with the exception of things I had assigned and was teaching. The immediate need to prepare for a class full of students will always drive every other goal to the margins, or, for me, to 5:00 am - and sometimes, I will have to get up that early just to be ready for a 6:30 pm seminar.  I'm hoping that I'll get used to the weekly routine and will be back to my serene morning reading soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment