Thursday, May 17, 2018

Bout of Books Day Four

Yesterday was a pretty productive reading day for me. I finished Swamplandia! and discussed it with my book-club crew, and read more of the Rajneesh Chronicles as well.  Today, having finished an administrative task that took up more time than it should have, I'm now back to serious research reading, which means Adam Tooze again. I'd left off around p. 235.


For my read alike, since yesterday's "precious"  was Marx's Capital, I chose Harry Braverman's Labor and Monopoly Capital:the Degradation of Work in the Twentieth Century.  This amazing book about Taylorism and the deskilling of work continues to be relevant, and now applies to even the "knowledge professions" because of the growth of information technology.





For fiction, I don't know why...maybe it's that summer feeling, but I chose to match fans of Emma Straub's Brooklyn novel, Modern Lovers, which centers around old college band mates with Jane Smiley's earlier NYC novel, Duplicate Keys a quasi-literary mystery that also features a rock band in Manhattan.  I read it almost twenty years ago and really loved it. I might need to read it again if I have time. I am a sucker for books about tight-knit groups of friends in cities, so if anyone's reading this and has suggestions, please leave em in the comments.


No comments:

Post a Comment