Monday, January 4, 2021

Bout of Books Day 1: Setting some goals

Today is the official start of my research leave, so I'm mostly reading for my research project this week. This month, I'll be reading works related to early observations and analyses of fascism by leftists and liberals from the 1920s through the early 1930s. My emphasis is on the U.S., but I'm reading books about European parties and thinkers who also influenced U.S. anti-fascists. The first book I'm reading is Enzo Traverso's Marxists and the Jewish Question though I'm currently reading an earleir edition than the one in the link. Also this week, I'm hoping to read some of Ernst Mendel's collection of Trotsky's writing about fascism and early essays from the collection Marxists in the Face of Fascism. Another book on my list is George Seldes, Sawdust Caesar one of the earlier U.S. anti-fascist texts. There's more on the TBR including a couple of anthologies on travellers in the Third Reich, along with the first section of the recent anthology by Christopher Vials and Bill Mullen, The U.S. Antifascism Reader. In the mornings and before bed, I'll be reading little bits of Lucy Foley, The Hunting Party , and when I'm working out, cleaning, or cooking, I'll be listening to Alyssa Cole's triller about gentrification in Bed-Stuy, When No One is Watching. I have no idea how much of this I'll be able to read in a week, but I'll track what I do here for Bout of Books.

No comments:

Post a Comment