Tuesday, August 21, 2018

Bout of Books 23 Days 1 & 2

I just spent a long weekend thinking and talking about books because I went to WorldCon (The World Science Fiction Convention). While there, I accumulated way more books than was probably good for me. Maybe later this week, I'll post a loot picture.

On the plane back to Georgia on Monday, I read about half of Spider Robinson's Time Travellers Strictly Cash, which I had picked up at a used and rare book exhibit at the convention with the intention of getting a signature from Robinson before I left. I was charmed and moved by his performance at the Friday night WorldCon music event, and curious about Callahan's Saloon, which was the official name of the WorldCon bar/lounge where I wound up watching the Hugo Simulcast. I didn't get Robinson's signature because my schedule became too full, but I did enjoy reading his book and will likely finish it tonight if I can tear myself away from the real life crime-drama of American politics. It was a good choice for my flight, although I lost a lot of reading time to the woman sitting next to me who kept engaging me in conversation, and later on, I switched to an audiobook for a while when the turbulence got too unruly for me. Robinson represents that moment in SF in the late 70s and early 80s when I was first reading it, with all the good and bad elements of male hippie-dom and the sexual revolution of the era. Of what I read, I probably most enjoyed the story  "Dog Day Evening," full of ridiculous puns and good feeling. I also enjoyed what some reviewers describe as "filler"- Robinson's personal comments about various legendary SF publishers and writers, as well as some of his book reviews, which are witty, and in some cases, scathing.


Today, Tuesday, I got almost no reading done at all during the day, which seemed unlikely since I had a lot of catching up to do in the office.

BoB Page count so far: 93


And since this is a reading and listening blog, here's Spider Robinson singing at World Con this past weekend: 

No comments:

Post a Comment