Monday, May 11, 2020

Bout Of Books 28: Social Distancing Style


I was so busy for most of this academic year, and so dismayed by the ongoing horror of American politics, that I didn't have the energy to keep up even a little reading blog, but since I turned my grades in and I'm working from home, it seems like I should join Bout of Books 28.  For the next week, I'll be posting updates on what I've read, and maybe doing some of their mini-challenges, and hopefully, pairing some books and music.  I'm currently reading multiple books at once, as usual. I'm in the middle of Laura Spinney's book about the 1918 global influenza pandemic, Pale Rider, am almost done with the audiobook of American Wolf, as well as two books I decided to start reading in my goal of actually reading all the nominees for the Hugo Awards before the voting deadline. This week, that's Seanan McGuire's Middlegame and Arkady Martine, A Memory Called Empire. I'm also reading a couple of different things for work, including two edited collections on prisons and policing. For my own research, my goal for this week is to re-start and finally finish Adam Tooze's book on the economics of the Third Reich, The Wages of Destruction which I had started at least two years ago and got side-tracked from. I've got some other stuff to do for work this week too, so I doubt I'll finish all of these, but it's good to have an ambitious goal to start with, right?

What is Bout of Books?  From the organizers:
The Bout of Books readathon is organized by Amanda Shofner and Kelly Rubidoux Apple. It’s a weeklong readathon that begins 12:01am Monday, May 11th and runs through Sunday, May 17th in YOUR time zone. Bout of Books is low-pressure. There are daily challenges, Twitter chats, and exclusive Instagram challenges, but they’re all completely optional. For Bout of Books 28 information and updates, visit the Bout of Books blog. - From the Bout of Books team

No comments:

Post a Comment