Thursday, May 14, 2020

Bout of Books Update Day 4

Yesterday I finished Pale Rider and made some headway in an edited collection I'm reviewing for an academic journal. In my anxious insomnia, I also read another couple of chapters in Arkady Martine's A Memory Called Empire in my hopes to read all the Hugo-nominated novels for the year before it's time to vote. I'm enjoying this one a lot so far. This morning, I got back to the 1/2 finished book I'd been reading on writing local history by Joseph Amato,Rethinking Home.  I had initially bought it for the purpose of figuing out how to teach students how to write local history, and it's going to be helpful for that, but it's also just turned out to be an unusually well-written and fascinating book.

Now it's time for me to go back to work. Today's challenge is to ask for recommendations and respond to other people's recommendations, which I guess I'll do on instagram or Twitter before the day is up.

Today's musical accompaniment, on the theme of local history, since Amato's work is mostly done in Minnesota comes from one of Minnesota's famous musicians, so much of whose music is about specific places in and aroud Minneapolis.

No comments:

Post a Comment