Tuesday, August 22, 2017

Bout of Books 20 Update One

On Monday,  I spent most of the day in Tennessee waiting on or watching the eclipse. Since we got there early to make sure we could park and had a good spot, I had plenty of time to read before anything got started. I was reading, for the third time, Ruth Wilson Gilmore's amazing book, The Golden Gulag. I'm teaching this book tonight in a seminar on the spatial arrangement of prisons and policing in the U.S.  Tonight, we'll be discussing the notion of how surpluses of investment capital, labor, land and state capacity contributed to what Gilmore calls "the Prison fix" in California.

 Later in the day, I read about 20 pages of Gary Shteyngart's The Russian Debutante's Handbook. I'm planning to use a chapter of this book in a course I'm teaching to undergrads this semester, but I haven't decided on which chapter yet - but I'm thinking of the one about his return to the former USSR.  

No comments:

Post a Comment