Wednesday, August 23, 2017

Bout of Books Update 2

Tuesday was a frantic day, reminding me of why summer break, even when you're on the clock is different from the school year, especially the first weeks of a new school year. I had several meetings in the morning and early afternoon, taught a class, and then was swamped with "emergency" emails and phone-calls.

I managed only to read things I had to read for the classes I was teaching. From books, this meant another two chapters of Ruth Wilson Gilmore's Golden Gulag, along with three different interviews with activists against broken windows policing from Jordan Camp and Christina Heatherton's timely and wonderful collection of essays by scholars and activists,  Policing the Planet: Why the Policing Crisis Led to Black Lives Matter.  I did drive for an hour and listened to the 20th chapter of The Luminaries by Eleanor Catton.  After I got home from my long drive, I was too obsessed with watching CNN to read very much before bed. I'm hoping that tomorrow will be different, but then of course, there's preparing for next week's classes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment