Sunday, April 29, 2018

Dewey's 24 Hour Readathon Final Post

That was quick. This year for Dewey's 24 hour readathon, I read for 6 and a half hours and listened to an audiobook for 5 and a half hours - spending a total of 12 of the last 24 hours reading or listening to an audiobook.
Total pages in regular books: 230: Liz Fekete, Europe's Fault Lines 50; Mur Lafferty, Six Wakes 40; Norman Sherry, The Life of Graham Greene v. 1, 140. Audiobook finished: Drew Magary, the Hike.   This fits my usual slow reading speed of 30 -40 pages per hour.  The most daunting hour was  between 1:00 and 2:00 am. I slowed down a lot - falling asleep while reading Six Wakes despite late-night coca-cola and coffee ice-cream.

 While listening to the Hike, I lifted weights, walked for about 2 and 1/2 hours, went grocery shopping, washed dishes, and cooked dinner. During the 12 hours I wasn't reading or listening to an audiobook, I was attending a friend's afternoon party, talking to my husband, doing readathon related social media stuff, and finally, watching comedian Michelle Wolff's hilarious stand-up at the White House Correspondents' dinner.  I did more of the readathon "mini-challenges"  this time - but tried not to spend so much time on social media that I failed to use the time to read.

To answer the last couple of survey questions for the final hour, I am likely to do the readathon again. I don't know what really rad thing the readathon could do to make me smile - maybe do something to create a single place with a list of what everyone read, including some stats on the most popular books read during the readathon. I imagine this could be done through Goodreads, or a spreadsheet similar to what you create for the readathon when people sign up.

I'm very much enjoying Sherry's Greene biography, and am glad I chose it for this readathon. Greene's childhood reading habits were perfect readathon fodder, and this morning in my usual morning hour of reading, I finally got to the part of the book about Greene's friendship with Claud Cockburn and his early interest in spying in the 1920s.


No comments:

Post a Comment