Saturday, April 28, 2018

Dewey's Readathon Mixtape Mini-Challenge

It's almost as if Leah and 26 Letters was planning a theme for my blog today. This blog initially started as a place to store posts I'd made on Facebook about strange synchronicities between music and books, as I often listen to music while reading. 
 Anyway, this mini-challenge for Dewey's Readathon is to shuffle a music player, take the first song and match a book to it.  The first song that played on my usb drive in my car this afternoon was Thee Oh Sees, "The Axis"   It's a dark song with a pretty sound that ends in a chaotic and threatening sounding guitar solo. Looking over what I'd read recently, I decided the best book pairing for this song was Karolina Waclawiak's How to Get Into Twin Palms, a about a young Polish woman attracted to the trashy glamour of a Russian nightclub in her neighborhood in Los Angeles: Twin Palms.  The central character, like the guitar in the song's conclusion, makes a surprising decision, veering into chaos.

No comments:

Post a Comment