Saturday, August 25, 2018

Bout of Books update Days 5 & 6


Yesterday I re-read about half of Octavia Butler's Dawn, which we'll be discussing in the SF book club on Monday.  This has been a heavy couple of Science-Fiction weeks.  Last weekend was WorldCon. Then we have our local SF book club, to be followed soon after by book club night at the movies to see 2001: Space Odyssey, and then it's Dragon Con.



My current academic reading is still pretty other-worldly. I am continuing to read about the eerily familiar tactics of the Lyndon LaRouche cult. These people have been "post-truth" left/right conspiracy wackos, both obsessed with the deep-state and partnering with various policing and state intelligence services to attack their enemies for decades. 


Page count so far: 270

Challenge, Day 6: for a book I learned about from another bout-of-bookser, I just added Convenience Store Woman by Sayaka Murata to my Goodreads TBR. This one looks like fun.

Challenge Day 5 - I started this blog as a way to do music-reading mash-ups, but I didn't post yesterday because I couldn't think of any songs that reminded me of books. I'm more likely to think of a song because I'm reading a book than anything else.  So, since I'm a day late on this one anyway, here goes; I'm going to try to keep with the 'Con theme by choosing SF/F books that I've enjoyed this year.

Book: Jeff VanderMeer, Borne + The Talking Heads, "Stay Up Late". Borne doesn't sleep, he's not a plaything, but he's kind of like a baby, and he does stay up all night.

Book: Edgar Cantero, Meddling Kids + Split Enz,"I Got You".  I chose this one because pretty far into the book, people still don't know why sometimes they get frightened.


Book: Martha Wells,  All Systems Red    + the Buggles "Video Killed the Radio Star" . Because Murderbot loves her shows.


No comments:

Post a Comment