Monday, August 22, 2022

Bout of Books 35 Wrap-Up

 It was the first week of classes, and I have about 92 students, but I managed to finish 4 of the books I was halfway through. 

Stanislaw Lem's His Master's Voice was the best - prescient and witty.

I very much enjoyed the always clever Grady Hendrix's Final Girl Support Group

I finished re-reading Sandman v.1 and it holds up well

I finished Lisa Unger's Confessions on the 7:45 and my main thought about it was that I should really give up on a "fun" read when I don't think it's any good. The book had an interesting plot, and started off OK, but the characterization was weak. We hear one character tell another that she's a "woman of iron" but she gives zero evidence of this in her thoughts and actions. 





I still have reading to do for research, and I haven't made much progress on this year's academic reading challenge because I really have to prioritize writing my own book this year.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like some good reading. Best of luck on working on your book!
    One of my goals was to interact with fellow boutofbookers.

    "Libraries will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no libraries." – Anne Herbert #quote

    I recently completed the Bout of Books readathon and the latest WEP flash fiction, which are the focus of my latest blog posts.

    Fun fact: August is the only name of a month that's also a popular name among 👶 baby boys.

    J Lenni Dorner (he/him 👨🏽 or 🧑🏽 they/them) ~ Reference& Speculative Fiction Author, OperationAwesome6 Debut Author Interviewer, and Co-host of the April Blogging #AtoZchallenge

    ReplyDelete